If the Mayan’s were correct, their calendar points to the end of the world on the 21st December 2012. So what will golf be like in a post apocalyptic world? The Royal, Ancient and Undead would need to make significant changes to the rules of golf and golfers will need to adapt to new hazards.
Possible changes to Golf Rules by the Royal, Ancient and Undead following the Apocalypse include:
- Number of clubs will extend from 14 to 17 to allow golfers to carry machetes and medical equipment
- Due to the dangers in searching for a lost ball, the Mayan drop rule will be introduced allowing a lost ball to be re-hit without penalty
- Lava, crevices, fallen buildings and general apocalyptic obstructions will all be treated as GUA (Ground under Apocalypse) and a free drop allowed
- Where a hole has been completely obliterated by tsunami, earthquake etc, a par can be added to the card and proceed to next hole
Changes to the game could include:
- More urban golf courses will open through deserted cities, Royal New York, Paris Links and Sydney Lakes will all be played through empty city streets
- Dinosaurs could again begin to re-emerge on the golf course (oh wait, thats already happening in Queensland)
- Should the apocalypse bring with it a Zombie outbreak, zombie golfers will have the rights on the first tee
Of course, the Mayan’s werent able to predict their own demise and the end to their whole race, so Im pretty sure that our tee time on the 27th of December will be fine!